Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Happy Birthday William Holden!





Happy Birthday William Holden!

I remember when I was just getting into Classic Hollywood and I can't even think of the first film I saw of his, but I just know that I liked him and over the past few years he's definitely become my favorite classic actor and just one of my favorite actors in general. For a while it was Cary Grant that was first or James Stewart, but then as I saw more and more of William Holden's films I realized that he was my favorite and it's not just because of his gorgeous smile or his beautiful blue eyes, but it's his acting ability and how with each film he just got better and better. He truly doesn't get enough credit for how amazing he really was.

For me he just moves me so much (and he's not bad to look at either lol) but I just really get sucked into his characters, especially his role in Force of Arms and Toward the Unknown. Those movies were some of my favorites that i've seen recently. Also Love is a Many Splendored Thing is just beautiful and so sad. His 50s and 60s films are the best I think, of the ones that i've seen anyway and I keep seeing more of them all the time.

I also totally admire his work with animal preservation, even though the William Holden Wildlife Foundation was started after he died, it really holds true to what his real passion was in life and that was animals. I think he loved acting too, but animals really became his main love later on in his life.

Unfortunately alcohol took it's toll on him and he died at age 63, but if he hadn't been born on this day in 1918 we wouldn't have the amazing person that is William Holden and all the great films he made. So I don't want to be sad over his death, I want to celebrate his life and his birthday today! Here's to this amazing human being! Happy birthday! <33

No comments:

Post a Comment