So in keeping with my Best Picture movie reviews, I thought that I would write about my favorite movie of all time, that won Best Picture for 1965, The Sound of Music. It isn't really so much a review, as it is a post about how great of a movie it is and why it is my favorite.For those that don't know, The Sound of Music is about a real family called the Von Trapps who escaped their home to find freedom during the war. This movie is based off the book that the real Maria von Trapp wrote in 1949 titled, The Story of the Trapp Family Singers. First there was a stage musical, then came the movie, which is considered by many to the greatest musical ever made. It helped save 20th Century Fox from bankruptcy and it was the most successful Rodgers and Hammerstein musical as well.
The reason that I think it has lasted as long as it has is because of the message that it sends. Perseverance in times of turmoil and hope for freedom and survival. That if you just face your problems and live the life you were born to live, you will find your dream.
The reason it is my favorite movie is for a lot of those same reasons, but also because no matter how bad of a day i've had, it always makes me feel better. Also just the message that it sends, you have to live your life, face your problems and find your destiny. Plus, the music, scenery, adventure and romance make it amazing too. So many things were done right with this movie, Robert Wise definitely knew what he was doing. Mistakes that he left in that ended up making it more realistic and how Christopher Plummer played Captain von Trapp. Everything just worked out perfectly. It really has everything you would want in a film. I've seen a lot of musicals, but to me, none will compare with this one.
Hi Jennifer. Your post on the Sound of Music really made my day! Am so inspired to watch the movie again. I heard the film will be released in select theaters later this month. Have you ever seen it on the big screen? I have not! Also what do you think of the 50th Anniversary DVDs/Blu-Ray packages that recently came out? Tom
ReplyDeleteSorry it has taken me so long to reply back to you. Awww, i'm so happy that you liked my post about The Sound of Music and that it inspired you to rewatch the movie. Anytime I can inspire people to watch this amazing film, I feel like i've accomplished something, so yay!
DeleteI had seen it at the Hollywood Bowl last year for the Sing a Long. So I guess that is technically on a big screen, but seeing it in theatres again was so much fun. I went to see it for my birthday which was (April 15th) and it was showing in theatres that weekend so I saw it with some of my friends. Did you see it? I really like the 50th Anniversary/Blu-Ray edition that was released. It has really awesome special features on it and the movie looks so pretty in HD. Thanks for your comment. :D